Gift Guide: First Birthday




Birthday Plate
I love the idea of having a special plate that only comes out on someone's birthday. It's such a fun tradition to start right from the beginning.  Usually one year old's will be getting lots of toys that won't necessarily last for many years, but this is a unique gift that definitely will stand the test of time. You can find many different and personalized options on Etsy!

Family Photo Book
We actually made one of these family photo albums for my son's first Christmas (a few months before he turned one) and it was, and still is at 18 months, one of his favorite things.  He loves looking through all the pictures and pointing out each family member.  You can make them through a variety of different vendors (like Shutterfly, Chatbooks, etc.) but we like these simple ones from the baby store.  Just print off your photos and insert!  It's nice because you can also change out the photos as your child grows. 

B. Baby One Two Squeeze Blocks
These B. Baby One Two Squeeze blocks are perfect for little hands because they are small, light weight, and made of this flexible rubber material.  If they happen to drop one on themselves, they won't get hurt.  We bought these for my oldest six years ago and still have the same set for my third baby.  They hold u so well! They look as if we just bought them and believe me, they have seen some things...  

Little Tikes Rocking Horse
The Little Tikes Rocking Horse is one of those classic gifts.  Well, maybe it's classic 80's gift, but still. My boys have loved having it and it lasts far past the one year old stage.  It is a little big and does take up some room, but just stick it in a corner and enjoy.

Bizzy Bear Books
I don't even know who gave us our first Bizzy Bear book but they have been by far my Waylon's most favorite book since he received it for his first birthday.  Each page has short, rhyming text along with an interactive, tactile, moveable part.  I usually am not a fan of lift-the-flap or moving pieces books since I knew they will just be ripped apart soon, but these have pleasantly surprised me.  The pages are thick and the moving parts are also very sturdy.  There are many different Bizzy Bear titles to choose from and each one is just as cute and durable as the last.

Melissa and Doug Building Blocks
I feel like building blocks are just a staple that every pre-k classroom has and it was something I wanted in our home.  They are one of those open ended toys that has endless possibilities, work with other toys, and grow with your children.  My son is six and still plays with these on the regular.  They are the one toy on our shelf that has never rotated out in the past six years.  Melissa and Doug are one of my favorite toy brands.  They always have quality toys and these building blocks are no different.  You can usually find these for about $15 cheaper at Home Goods or TJ Maxx around the holiday time as well!

Baby Einstein Piano
We got the Baby Einstein Piano for Christmas for my middle child last year and it is still one of the most played toys in the house.  It has the option to play songs or notes and has two different volume levels.  The music and sound quality is very light and pretty; not obnoxious and loud like other noise toys - those toys do not live in my house, lol.  Even at the higher volume, it is still a moderate level that you probably wouldn't even hear in another room.  The Baby Einstein Piano is the perfect size for little to crawl up to or sit at and pound away.  It is all wood so not buttons/keys are getting stuck.  We have been playing it daily for close to a year now and it is still in great shape and we haven't had to trade out the batteries. It does come with music sheet cards that are made of a durable flexi-plastic and have color coded notes for your little one to learn songs.  You can pop them into the piano and hit the play button for the song to play or you can take them out and it still does the same thing.  We haven't made it to the music sheets yet so obviously the Baby Einstein Piano will be a toy that grows with us.

Little Tikes Lawn Mower
Our first born was an early walker and he received this Little Tikes Lawn Mower for his first birthday.  I'll be honest, it wasn't even on my radar.  Turns out it was his favorite thing.  He loved pushing the little lawn mower around the yard just like his daddy.

Instruments
I know this is a hot button issue for some people but musical instruments in my house don't bother me.  Now, I'm not saying bring in the drum kits and the amp, but if that's what my kids is into, then we will go from there.  All of my kiddos have loved their little musical instruments from the time they could grasp them.  You don't need a ton of different ones and if there are some in the pack that are a hard no for you (or turn out to be obnoxious), set them aside.  Home Goods usually always has a set lying around in their toy department you could snag.

Highlights Hello Magazine Subscription
I'm all about giving the gift of reading and not adding to an already large toy collection.  Highlights magazine has an edition for babies called Hello.  It comes to your door monthly and is made of this indestructible flexi-paper that can be gnawed on, torn at, and crumbled and it still magically stays the same.  It is small enough for littles to hold in their hands and be able to do all those aforementioned things.  They have real-life pictures full of diverse children (gender, ethnicities, abilities, etc.), songs, poems, their famous hidden pictures, illustrations, and ideas to go along with every issue.  This is one of my go to gifts for a first birthday.  You can usually find Highlights Hello on sale on Groupon and then print off the free certificate on Highlights' website!

Wooden Rainbow Stacker
I'll be honest when I say I purchased this wooden rainbow stacker as a room decoration and had hopes (not necessarily high) that it would be played with but wasn't holding my breath.  I am happy to say that it has earned it's place in our family! Both of my boys (6 and 18 months) play with both of our wooden rainbow stackers.  We have a small one and a large one.  They break them down to make mazes, roads, build with them, you name it, they've done it!  My youngest one (9 months) is starting to show an interest in them as well!  Probably because the boys are playing with them, but I'll take it!

Tunnel
The tunnel is one of those toys that is great and fun and magical annnnnnnd BIG.  It's five feet long.  It's not small.  Until you package it up and then it lays flat and slips right under the bed!  But when it is out and being played with, it can definitely be in the way.  All that to be said, it's fun and very well loved in our house.  We got ours for my son's first Christmas (right before he turned one) and it is still played with today and in great condition.  Again, Melissa and Doug toys for the win!

Inflatable Ball Pit
If you ask my husband he will tell you that the Inflatable Ball Pit is a hard no.  But then if you reword your question to ask him if his children love it, he will grudgingly say yes, HAHA!  He just really doesn't like the balls all over the house but that doesn't happen as often as he thinks.

  I know there are a lot of different versions of ball pits out there but my little ones have always loved these.  They love feeling like they are in a tent and popping the balls through the holes and the opening at the top.  When it was just my one, that thing lasted forever.  Now that we have a six year old and one year old playing WWE in it, it is much easier to pop.  We have gone through three and now my six year old is banned and bummed, lol.  It definitely does NOT come with enough balls so buy a pack as well.  I have only been able to find them at Kohl's or Walmart and usually your chances are better around the holidays, so if you want one and see one, snag it!

What are some of your favorite gifts for your favorite one year old?

No comments